The Dearborn Historical Museum complex is a city-owned display of Dearborn's heritage housed in two historic buildings.
They were part of the U.S. Government's Detroit Military Arsenal when it was moved from Detroit to early
Dearbornville in 1833.
These Federal Arsenal Grounds originally covered 1,652 acres in Dearborn.
Eleven Arsenal buildings were clustered for the garrison within 12-foot-high brick walls surrounding a square of 360 feet on all sides in the heart of what is now the bustling downtown business district of West Dearborn.
Of these buildings, two remain in use for the Museum's historic displays: The Commandant's Quarters at Michigan and Monroe, and the McFadden-Ross House, originally the Arsenal Powder Magazine, on Brady Street, two blocks east.
Available for visitor viewing are the archives, records of early local properties, photographs, period costumes and examples of early arts and crafts. Admission is free but contributions are welcomed by the Dearborn Historical Foundation.
The Beginning of the Tour
|- OR -|