Robert Herndon's Dearborn Hills Golf Course
Planning for the massive renovation of Dearborn Hills began in 1987, only days after Mrs. Marjorie Herndon donated the course to the city. Her gift was in memory of her late husband, Robert, who had built the course in 1922-23 and managed it until his death in 1986.
Warner Bowen, designer of the famed Schuss Mountain course in northern Michigan, was hired as golf architect. The city moved quickly to obtain additional land along the Rouge River from Wayne County to expand the development area from 83 to 97 acres.
Because the course was situated on legally designated wetlands, the project came under close scrutiny of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Wetlands and wildlife habitat had to be preserved. Fill dirt could not be brought on to the site, nor could soil be removed from the course.
Bowen's solution was to create six new ponds and 10 new wetland areas (17.1 acres of water!) to provide a cleaner, more diversified habitat for wildlife. At the same time, the excavations provided him with soil needed to contour the fairways and build elevated tees and greens. More than 500,000 yards of soil was moved during the 16 months of construction.
The new, par 60 layout includes six par four holes and 12 par threes, each distinctive and each providing a unique challenge.
Each hole has five separate tee areas to create holes of varying distances and difficulty. Thus, golfers of all ages and skill have an equal chance for par.
Course yardage, measured and certified by the Golf Association of Michigan, ranges from 3,217 yards from the front tees to 4,495 yards from the back tees.
Physical facilities built to service the golf course include a new 7,000 square foot Clubhouse, parking for 150 cars, a pumphouse for the irrigation systems, and three bridge - two spanning the Rouge River and a connector bridge under Telegraph Road.
A fully stocked pro shop offers rental clubs and a full line of golf accessories. Snacks, beer, pop, and famous Dearborn Hills hot dogs may be enjoyed from patio chairs on an outdoor patio or from comfortable inside seating.
Dearborn Country Club
The Dearborn Country Club is one of Dearborn's most prestigious private clubs. Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motor Company, founded the club in 1923 as a place for family, friends, and employees of Ford Motor Company to gather and enjoy the game of golf, as well as other social events. The club contains an 18-hole golf course.
The 160-acre course was designed by Donald Ross, a nationally known architect, and was redesigned to it's present configuration in 1966. Members of the Dearborn Country Club purchased the facility in 1952, and club members continue to hold ownership today.
Tournament Players Club of Michigan - Dearborn
The TPC of Dearborn Michigan is primarily a private corporate golf club with an 18-hold championship course. Jack Nicklaus, recently named "Golfer of the Century", is the designer of this par 72, 7,000 yard long golf course. Some of the special features of the course include grass amphitheaters which provide expanded spectator viewing and a natural backdrop for golfers during non-tournament play.
The course opened in 1990 and hosts an annual PGA Tour event which brings $30 million in economic benefits to the city by drawing record-breaking attendance. Membership, by invitation only, permits reciprocal playing privileges throughout the TPC network of clubs.
The Beginning of the Tour
|- OR -|